Skip to content
WE'RE HIRING | WE'RE LOOKING FOR PERMANENT WEEKEND SALES ASSISTANTS | APPLY NOW
WE'RE HIRING | WE'RE LOOKING FOR PERMANENT WEEKEND SALES ASSISTANTS | APPLY NOW

The Imperfect Shot

£20.00
SKU 22404

Our stock levels are changing quickly. We checked the stock level at 9:00 am and this item shows as in stock.

We'll check the stock level again at 1:00 pm

Thank you for understanding.

The perfect gift for the imperfect Shot! A very humourous collection of experiences, faux pas and misdemeanours in the shooting field with anecdotes and tales of many light-hearted incidents from throughout the world.It gives some novel excuses for pickers-up who have failed to find their quarry. In similar vein, during the author's years as a gamekeeper, it was often necessary to think on the hoof and deliver a plausible reason as to why a particular drive didn't go exactly as It ishould...! Sometimes the explanations were so outrageous as to be laughable, which often diffused a potentially difficult situation and on occasion caused a comment, such as: "I've never heard that one before... how did you think that one up?" To which the author inevitably replied: "The Gamekeeper's Book of Excuses... page 58!"* A wonderful collection of shooting excuses, gaffes and blunders from the sublime to the ridiculous * Tongue-in-cheek advice is offered to those who have committed the minor faux pas and misdemeanours on the shooting field * Hilariously and beautifully illustrated by Oliver Preston * The perfect shooting presentAbout the authorJeremy Hobson was, for well over 30 years, employed as a gamekeeper and, for much of the last decade, as shoot captain on a prestigious West Sussex estate as a result of which, he has seen much of what might possibly occur during a shooting day! An author and writer throughout that time, Jeremy s country-based articles have appeared in most of the relevant sporting magazines and he has had published well over 30 books three of which:The Shoot Lunch (978-1846890925);Success with Chickens (978-1846890932) andSporting Lodges (978-1-846891687), have been for Quiller.ReviewOne to dip into and enjoy. The text and illustrations, the latter by Oliver Preston, are both integral parts of the book and I am not sure which I enjoyed the most. The jokes are not all to do with shooting and I liked the one about the Land Rovers - "They say 90 per cent of all Land Rovers manufactured are still on the road. The other 10 per cent have reached their destination". --Ray Collier, Highland News GroupFrom excuses for missing, including the safety catch got stuck to ensuring your mobile phone is turned off, the author aims to guide the newby through some of the pitfalls of driven game shooting. And he makes it abundantly clear that pulling the trigger is just a small part of the overall shooting day, which should include a good lunch, fascinating repartee with fellow guns and getting all dressed up in sometimes ridiculous garb that, in any other situation, would be laughable. --Philip Bowern, Western Morning NewsThis is an anthology of shooting excuses, gaffes and anecdotes which you might actually find useful during the season. Not only does it provide very easy access light reading for those moments when the Financial Times is a bit too topical and War and Peace is a bit too serious but it also contains some honest advice for game shooters who might like to kid themselves sometimes. There are not many things he hasn t seen on shoot day - and a lot of them make it into this book. --Shooting GazetteAbout the AuthorJeremy Hobson was, for well over 30 years, employed as a gamekeeper and, for much of the last decade, as shoot captain on a prestigious West Sussex estate. Therefore, as a result of seeing life as it is lived from both sides of the fence, he is extremely well versed in what might possibly occur during a shooting day! Now a professional freelance writer and author (and a member of the Guild of Agricultural Journalists); Jeremy has written countless magazine articles and over 30 published books - the main subject matter of which concerns many aspects of field sports and country life. He considers himself extremely fortunate that, throughout his life, he has been paid to do what he enjoys and, since his first published article appeared in 1976 - and his first book